Nokia has released a new firmware version for E71 series – 300.21.012. I like my phone to have the latest firmware and keep updating my E 71 as and when Nokia releases a new version.
I downloaded and installed the latest firmware – 300.21.012 on Saturday. As usual, I lost most of my downloaded applications, but I was prepared for it as I knew it would happen. But what I was not prepared for was that the phone refused to connect to the Internet. I tried using all the available access point, but of no avail. I also tried connecting through Wi-Fi, but the result was the same.
I scourged through several forums for solution. I discovered that many people who had upgraded to the 300.21.012 version had the same problem. I even tried restoring the phone to factory settings, but it was of no help.
I thought the issue could be with incompatibility with the old settings and the new firmware. So I applied the upgrade once again, but did not restore the phone settings back-up. It worked!
So, if your E71 doesn’t connect to the Net after the firmware upgrade, reinstall the upgrade and don’t restore the phone settings from the backup.
Here’s the changelog for 300.21.012:
This release is a major feature release and also was intended to correct main complaints from Customers and Operators
* Mail for Exchange 2.9
* Numonyx USB Flashing support
* Gimlet 5.2 (v 126.96.36.199)
* Turkish SMS Support
* Support for Rapido Yawe 1.15
* Myspace, Youtube and Facebook support (NA for HK and Taiwan variants)
* User experience improvements
* Increased robustness of the Home Key functionality. This helps avoid the problem of Home key not opening the menu.
CHANGES AND IMPROVEMENTS:
* Improved Switch application functionality
* Internet Radio 1.15 Increased Functionality and Stability
* VoIP upgrade Improved functionality and stability
* Download Client 3.2 Greater stability and improved functionality
* Email Setup Wizard Update Supports Gimlet 5.2
* Simplified MMS Notification handling support
* Support for conference numbers longer than 24 digits
* Improvements in Browser for seamless YouTube support
* Language menu can be accessed when Chinese Language is used
* Bug fixes for the NokiaPC Internet Access Application
* Improved BT headset connectivity
* Many functionality and Stability improvements in MfE.
* Stability and functionality improvements
* Increased robustness in handling SMS
* Updated Time zones
* Updated Operator names database
* Localization improvements
* Updated Startup settings
* Security Updates and vulnerability fixes
* Phone not suspending packet data connection when receiving call Fixed.
* Many bug fixes for MyNokia feature.
* Minor audio related bugs fixed
* Updated helps
* Minor stability improvements
* Minor improvements in Call handling and quality
* Stability and Minor Functionality improvements
* WLAN functionality Improvements
* Fix to prevent Wifi Certification issues when Wifi alliance moves to Win 2008 as the test server
* Fix for the one way audio problem seen in Cisco VoIP client
* Memory leak fixes
* Minor UI Improvements
* Stability and functionality improvements for search functionality
* Mail for Exchange upgraded from 2.7.22 to 2.9.158
* Gimlet updated to v5
* Email setup wizard updated
* Support for Exchange Server 2007 in MfE
* Many functionality and stability improvements in MfE
* Robust Synchronization of Calendar and email items.
* Improved functionality
* Increased application stability
* Increased A-GPS stability
* Better stability in location services.
* Usability improvements
* Usability improvements
* Keyboard mapping corrections
* Support for receiving more SMSs. Allows more than 4000 messages in inbox.
* Application updates and many stability and functionality improvements
VOIP / SIP
* Many Usability, stability and functionality improvements